Saturday 12 May 2012

Spin Doctor: Playthrough of Levels: Room 2



Yeah, it's been nearly a week now since I posted, it's been a busy week, I apologise.

Anyway, going straight to the point of this blogpost: after playing through this level (rotating room 2) I came to the following conclusion:

Firstly, I am unsure about this particular issue; near the vents at the beginning of the level. Harland could easily fit through the corridor, so all is well, but could he stand inbetween vents as they moved? My Paper-Harland just about didn't fit, unless he moved dangerously close to the previous trap and even then chances are he'd die very easily unless Harland lost a little weight.... Ha.

So my personal suggestion is to make more space for Harland, in the case that I amend it so the player is actually meant to run through the entire vent corridor, horizontally, avoiding the traps if they move accordingly, which I will have to discuss with the maker of the level. The walkthrough claims you have to rotate and drop down vertically, while avoiding them, but it doesn't really provide a challenge if all you do is fall (and this brings up the question: what about fall damage? Maybe if the player tries to rotate and fall down through the vents, he would die from fall damage, if not already from the vents?), and unless the vents move at the same speed, you wouldn't make it very far. I think the level would be more fun if you had to avoid them manually, although you lose a little bit of rotation doing this. For now, I will leave the corridor as it is. This leads me to the next potentional flaw of the level:

Between 6 and 5 the player is required to rotate standing at 6, and fall down to the platform near 5. Unless you can rotate mid-air, this is not possible and the player would drop down onto the platform near 3, unless the actual route here is to rotate, standing vertically near 6, rotating anti-clockwise, landing upside down near 4, rotating again and again until they are upside down above the scanner, and a last rotation that will make them drop onto the long platform near 5. This particular route works, as I found out during my playthrough, so for now I will disregard this as a gameplay issue, presuming the maker of the level intended for this to be the route.

Other than that, the playthrough went smoothly, I only had a minor problem with the vents making it too easy, but no issues have to be "solved" for this level, the level works, and that's what matters. I don't intend to make changes as of yet, but I suggest that Harland dies if he tries to fall down through the vents, therefore is forced to run through it horizontally.

An amended paper based plan s not required so I will update the original paper plan I drew, since no visual changes were done, except for potentional fall damage. I may update this later if I can think of an improvement for the level. Any thoughts?









No comments:

Post a Comment