Wednesday 8 February 2012

Spin Doctor Level Design: Idea, Research and Thoughts

Game: Spin Doctor
Level Zone: Study/Victorian Mansion, Level 3.


 
I am going to post some research I am doing here.

So, I know this is mostly up to the artists but I am a minor in Art and I think this will be relevant to the levels themselves, in terms of atmosphere and look of the level, which is a part of Design. Basically, I have always pictured the whole game as being very depressing and evil looking. I wont speak about the Industrial and Medical zone here, because others are taking care of those zones, but I think the mansion should be very Victorian (that's a given!) and I don't mean the poor kind of mansion, I imagine it being a very posh mansion, but it has not been taken care of for the last decades, and I want that to show, not just in the art, but in the actual level itself. It might be a little hard to get across in Google Sketch up and paper down photoshop overview maps, but at least the idea is there. I don't think the whole mansion should be a dark and depressing experience, as I'd like to see some visually pleasing rooms too, that may be a little brighter in looks and atmosphere.

I will mainly do research on Victorian interior and the "haunted house" theme of both movies and games. The first game I've had a look at is "Donald Duck: Goin' Quackers!", a game I used to play when I was younger, it popped into my head and I remembered one of my favourite levels of the game, the Haunted House.

Now, imagine that Donald Duck is Harland, the rooms are rotating and we keep the theme/atmosphere of this, that is how I imagine the mansion will look like, except some sections of the mansion will probably be not as ... depressing.




Ben recommended  "The Haunting" to me,which is probably a good source of inspiration and reference.



Heres a link to the IMDb page if anyone is interested:


http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0171363/


And, again, Amnesia! I know I nearly always do some research on Amnesia, but it's a fantastic game and when it comes to atmosphere, not many other games do it better. I always seem to do concept that involves a chase and scary surroundings and environments... The Study Room in Amnesia is a good example of the kind of style I imagine the mansion to be like. I know it's a different time period but it's not far from it and it's mostly the atmosphere and not necessarily the furniture I am pointing out here, although something similar would be awesome to see in the finalised game in the study room, but it might be difficult with rotating rooms... Well, for the sections that involve rotating rooms, I am sure it would be a great filler in between these rooms, visually pleasing and all that. The atmosphere you find in horror games, especially Amnesia, is what I want to aim for in my level designs for this project. Not sure how I will implement it into my level, yet, and it might not even come across properly since it is only design work, but at least this is my idea for level 3, the whole Reeves's mansion. Anyway, here goes:

1 comment: