Sunday 18 December 2011

Spin Doctor: Reeves' Journal Extracts

Unknown, Early 1851

“Something is wrong with Elizabeth. She isn’t her usual self. She is constantly tired and sleeps the whole day away. She does not tend to the garden these days. She used to love gardening. I will have to find out what is wrong with her.  She is gradually growing weaker for each day. I’ve never seen anything just like it. It is not the flu or your common cold. It is something far more threatening. I will have to do research.”



27th of November 1851 (After a year of research on wife's condition)

" I have come to a conclusion.  After examining Elizabeth and her condition for nearly a year, ignoring my own duties as a doctor to take care of her, I have realised she has some sort of heart disease. I'm not entirely sure what it is, but I know she needs her heart to be replaced, her heart is giving up."


22nd of December, 1851

“I need to save her. She cannot die. I need to build her a mechanical heart. The only way to get it to work is if I inject a tube with epinephrine into the mechanical heart. That way she can be immortal, as long as I harvest from people. I will start creating it today.”



January, 1852
"I need a volunteer. But no one seems to want to be a part of my project. I've not told them what exactly for, but I said it's dangerous. I said I would have to experiment on them and it would come with a risk. If I could just find a volunteer, someone that would just let me harvest epinephrine from them, I could save my wife. But they don't care about my project. I even said it would help save my wife. How could a person lack such empathy? I can understand they will not give up their life for someone's wife, but I can almost assure them they would not die. I would treat them with care and caution. I think my only option is to find a "volunteer" myself, but it would be difficult to get them to trust me. If only I had something that could knock them out. I think a rag soaked in chloroform would do the trick. I believe I should just go for a walk and if someone I deem fit appears, I will cover their mouth with the rag and they shall fall unconscious if everything goes to plan. Then I can bring them back to my facility and experiment on them with no interruptions."


"No, no, no, no, no! Someone caught me as I was about to knock someone out. I have to flee, I cannot end up imprisoned because of this. I know of the perfect place to flee to. An old abandoned military base I used to work at in my younger days. I used to tend to the injured soldiers in the medical area of the facility. I will bring my belongings and flee there with my wife in a few days."





"I read in the newspaper today that I, being one of the best doctors in England, has been kicked out of the medical community. I don't need them, it is their loss. Although I can never go back, I am a wanted man now. The police found evidence at my now abandoned house. They said I am wanted for questioning because of the contents of my belongings. I need to stay in hiding."



March, 1852
"I have made myself at home at the old abandoned military base. It's been kept in a good condition, even after all these years. It brings back old memories of my once so very happy life, when I had just met my wife, and we had our lives ahead of us. I was once a happy man. I want those days back. I will save my wife, I am working on the mechanical heart she will need to stay alive."



July, 1852
"The mechanical heart is ready, I will replace my dear wife's real heart with it tonight. Finally, I am able to save Elizabeth. She will be immortal. She will live on forever, with me. She can never leave this world, not without me. She is meant to be here, right here, with me. Forever. "





"The transplantation has been completed. There were complications at first. She seemed to struggle quite a lot. Her body was out of control. But then she was put to rest. She looked more beautiful than ever before. I have never heard her heart beat faster or louder in my life."





18th of October, 1852
"I have major difficulties falling asleep. I lay awake all night staring at the roof, into the nothingness of my dark room, a black abyss. The few times I manage to fall asleep, I wake up shortly after and can't get back to sleep. This happens frequently. Even if I have a night of sleep, it will feel as if I never went bed. I am always awake, and all that is on my mind is saving my wife. I need  to find someone without getting caught this time. An easy prey, someone I can drag into an alley, knock out and bring back home to my facility, to experiment on, get the adrenaline I need for my wife's mechanical heart. I need someone that will not be missed. I can't let myself get caught this time. Although, to get a subject all the way to my facility, I need to experiment with different types of anaesthetic chemicals and make the perfect barbiturate."


"I created it after a few days of hard work. A custom tailored barbiturate. It's perfect. It contains wolfsbane, henbane, opium and last but not least: chloroform! No doubt in my mind this will make them unconscious. Now all I need is a subject."






10th of February, 1953

“I’ve watched her every move for a few days. I know her schedule. She works nights, every night of the week. She returns to her home in the early morning, just in time for the sunrise. She moved to England three years ago.
Her name is Margaux Boudeville, some prostitute from France. What are the
odds someone will come looking for her? She has no family in England, as far as I am concerned. She is just a pinchcock. I am certain she will not be missed. She is perfect."



12th of February, 1953
“Tonight is the night; I have chosen the first subject for my experiments. I will need to harvest epinephrine from her manually. I will pay her a visit tonight, drag her into an alley and inject her with the barbiturate. When she’s unconscious I will bring her back to the facility and experiment on her."



13th of February, 1953
My experiment was unsuccessful. I have failed my wife. Not entirely unsuccessful, I managed to extract a small dose from her but it seems I need a stronger and bigger dose of epinephrine. If I could just come up with some sort of object or machine that could harvest the epinephrine for me, something to give the subject an adrenaline boost at the same time. Perhaps something I could equip them with. I should get back to work.”





March, 1954
"I completed the vest. All I need to do is sew it into my subject's flesh, plug the tubes into the back, and the vest will do all the work for me. When my subjects get an adrenaline boost, it will harvest all the epinephrine directly from their bodies. All I have to do is wait. Wait for the subject to fail, or wait for them to succeed my test. The test, or torturous maze if you like, will be inside my facility. It will cover the industrial and medical zone, and for the most gifted subjects, it will also take place in my own study! If they can make it here, that is."

Unknown - The last note the player finds at the ending (Study Room)
"I brought my wife some plants from our old house. They are beautiful, but for some reason it doesn't seem like my wife bothers to water them. They are being neglected. Slowly decomposing. It looks so depressing."










No comments:

Post a Comment